Development of Mobile Applications
by Francesco Ronchi
Mobile Application Development Download PDF
Advanges for the user
The main strengths of a mobile app are:
- Immediacy: mobiles and tablets are always with you, Apps can be activated in just a few seconds
- Customization: it is possible to develop customized services based on the user's specific needs
- Interaction: thanks to push/pull services, it is possible to obtain total interaction in both directions, from and to the user
- Localization: by using georeferencing, it is possible to create services linked to the exact geographical location of the user
- Convenience: for many purposes, using an App is more convenient than turning on your PC, even when you are relaxing on your couch
Advantages for the company
Often, there is still a feeling of fear and confusion towards a field which is perceived as being complex. In reality, it can be extremely advantageous for companies to invest in Apps and mobile sites , and their use is becoming increasingly important in a growing number of situations. The main reasons for this are:
- an increase in visibility, brand awareness
- the creation of databases of users
- contact and direct communication with users
- the provision of free and premium services
- an increase in traffic to webs stores and traditional sites
Mobile site or Application?
When choosing between a “native” App and a Mobile Site (or a Mobile Web Application), it is necessary to take a number of aspects into account, including:
- it provides the best user experience
- it allows the user to save his/her data and information
- it allows the user to receive “push” notifications
- an App needs to be created for every platform/operating system
- App Store policies must be respected
Mobile Site "pros":
- nothing needs to be installed on your mobile
- it is not necessary to go through App Stores, Markets, etc., or to be approved by third parties
- it can be compatible with multiple platforms and updates are immediately available
Mobile Site "cons":
- it is not available “offline” and it is not always present on the user's device
- poorer user experience, it is not possible to access all of the device’s characteristics.
- "Hybrid" solutions: è you can create Apps which can be internally integrated or which externally connect to Mobile Web applications, in order to optimize costs and get the best of both worlds Synesthesia is the right partner to help you decide the best route for your business.
Synesthesia si propone di affiancarvi nella scelta, permettendovi di seguire la strada migliore per il vostro business.
Defining your goals
When developing a mobile solution, be it an App or a mobile site, it is important to keep your goals in mind. These may be related purely to marketing; they may have informational purposes, or they may provide a tangible benefit for users in the form of services or products with added value, which the user may also be willing to pay for.
In many cases, marketing objectives are not specific: they aim to increase awareness and brand presence. From this, you can aim to generate leads and increase user engagement.
The main steps to be taken into account before, during and after developing an activity in a mobile environment are as follows:
planning, i.e. defining:
- objectives of the activity
- destination targets
- content to be offered
- technological solutions
internal handling, which must take into account the following:
- integration with company systems
- relation to production processes
user management, database management:
- automatic identification
- profile updating
- opt-in and opt-out
promotion, requiring the definition of
- the message to be communicated
Each of these steps has its own unique problems and must be carefully planned to ensure a completely successful campaign. As a partner, Synesthesia can provide expertise and know-how along every step of the way.
Synesthesia develops applications and mobile websites on the following platforms:
- Apple iOS: iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
- Google Android
- RIM BlackBerry
- Microsoft Windows Phone 7
- Mobile Web